Skip to main content

​Student Finance England – How & when to apply

You might have already applied for university or college courses through UCAS. You shouldn’t wait until you’ve been accepted a place to apply for student finance, just use your preferred choice of course and you can change the details later if you need to.

The quickest way to apply is online at when the application service opens in 2016.

It can take up to six weeks to process your application. You should apply for student finance as soon as possible once the application launches. There will be a deadline to get your money for the start of your course so make sure you apply before this date.

For up to date information about the application launch and deadline dates bookmark  

Please see document below from Student Finance England with an outlined overview of everything you will need to know.

Information about Student Finance (.pdf)

If you have any queries regarding any aspect of the application process please contact SFE on 0300 100 0607 or the Financial Support Team on 01302 553760.

Useful links

National College of Teaching and Leadership
Call the Teaching Information Line (TIL): 0800 389 2500
Or visit the Department for Education website:

Student Finance England For further information about Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance for living costs visit or our new dedicated Student Finance Zone on The Student Room

Access to Learni​​​ng Fund

The Access to Learning Fund is a non-repayable discretionary fund provided by Doncaster College's 'Student Opportunity Funding' for the provision of additional financial support to eligible 'home' students with essential costs & emergency support for students who encounter unforeseen severe financial hardship whilst studying (a home student is defined as a person who meets certain residency conditions and these conditions also apply to eligibility for Student Finance England, usually this means you must have an unrestricted right to enter and remain in the UK and you have been ordinarily resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of the course. None of this time must have been wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full time education. Students who were classified as EU or overseas for fees purposes were not eligible to apply to the Access to Learning Fund for financial support).​

Postgraduate Support

Students starting a postgraduate Master's course in 2016 will be able to apply for a Postgraduate Loan (PGL) under Student Finance England. The loan will be:

  • contribution towards the costs of study, i.e. it will be at the student's discretion to use the loan towards fees, maintenance costs or other costs;
  • non-means tested;
  • paid directly to the student

Please go to for more information and everything you need to know regarding Postgraduate Loans.

Extra Help  

Depending on their circumstances, students might also be able to apply for other grants. These don't have to be paid back unless the student leaves their course early

  • Disabled Students' Allowance (DSAs)
  • Childcare Grant (CCG)
  • Parents' Learning Allowance (PLA)
  • Adult Dependants' Grant (ADG)
  • Bursaries and scholarships

For more information please visit 

Initial Teacher Training

Full-time courses

Full-time Initial Teacher Training (ITT) courses, whether undergraduate or postgraduate, will get funding in the same way as other undergraduate degree programmes. This means full-time students will be able to apply for student finance for fees and living costs in the same way as undergraduates on any other higher-education course.

Part-time ITT courses

Part-time ITT courses consist of periods of study of less than 300 hours during each academic year. Students on part-time courses can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan in the same way as students on any other eligible part-time course.

Postgraduate Training Bursary

Postgraduate trainees starting ITT courses in the academic year 2015/16 may be offered a bursary by the National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL); the amount of which depends on when they begin their training and the subject. For more information please contact the NCTL.

Previous study and ITT courses

Previous study is not taken into account if a student is attending an ITT course, as long as:

  • they aren't already qualified to teach in primary or secondary school
  • the course they're attending doesn't exceed two academic years in length for full-time and four academic years in length for part-time
  • they don't already hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) or Qualified Teaching and Learning Status (QTLS)

School Direct Programmes  

Students who want qualifications and practical experience in teaching will be able to apply to one of the School Direct programmes. These allow students to get practical, hands-on training and education and are designed by groups of schools – with a university or a SCITT (School-centred initial teacher training) – based on the skills they are looking for in a newly qualified teacher (NQT). They won't be able to apply for student finance.

Further information: 

National College of Teaching and Leadership Call the Teaching Information Line (TIL): 0800 389 2500

Or visit the Department for Education website: 

Student Finance England For further information about Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and Grants for living costs visit or our new dedicated Student Finance Zone on The Student Room

Repaying Student Loans

If you are a Full-time students you are due to start repaying their loans in the April after you finish or leave your course – and, only then if your  income is over £12,000 a year.

The amount you repay depends on your income and not how much you borrowed. You'll pay back 9% of anything you earn over £21,000. If your income falls below, your repayments will automatically stop.

Income Each Year Before TaxMonthly Salary Before TaxApproximate monthly repayment


Repayments are collected through the UK tax system, either:

  • through PAYE, where payments are deducted by the employer in the same way as income tax and National Insurance; or
  • through self-assessment if the student is self-employed.

If you live or work abroad when you finish your course you will need to contact SFE before you leave the UK so they can make arrangements for you to start repaying.